My mom went to the doctor and was diagnosed with liver inflammation. What can she do about it now?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Find out the cause

You have to find out the cause.
The most common causes relate to alcohol use, medication side effects, obesity, and auto-immune liver diseases. A gastroenterologist or hepatologist are usually the most helpful doctors in figuring these things out. Usually, if you eliminate the cause, the liver inflammation goes away. Left untreated, it can lead to cirrhosis and ultimately cancer.

In brief: Find out the cause

You have to find out the cause.
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. James Huang

In brief: Find the cause

Besides a liver function tests, an Alpha fetoprotein, ultrasound, hepatitis panel, and other tests would be a good start.
A liver biopsy might be indicated if the diagnosis is not ascertained. I recently had several patients with hepatitis with all different diagnoses such histoplasmosis and auto-immune hepatitis. The treatments for all are very different. A hepatologist is a good idea.

In brief: Find the cause

Dr. James Huang
Dr. James Huang
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham