Can I call my gyno about a urinary tract infection instead of seeing my gp?

Dr. James Huang
In brief: Yes and more
The issue is about access, appropriate treatment, and follow-up.
A urologist can also be consulted for a urinary tract infection. There has been instances in which patients have been on an antibiotic that is resistant to the bacteria identified on a urinary culture and sensitivity. Good followup prevents further complications.

In brief: Yes and more
Dr. James Huang
Dr. James Huang
Dr. Ronald De la Pena
In brief: Yes, but...
Not all utis are the same.
An isolated case, diagnosed recently will be usually treated with a 3 day course of abtx. Recurrent infections, or repeat symptoms inside of 6mos, or symptoms lasting long than 4-5 days may need more attention. Repeat or recurrent utis should be seen by doctor. A urine analysis and culture should be sent for repeat utis.

In brief: Yes, but...
Not all utis are the same.
Dr. Ronald De la Pena
Dr. Ronald De la Pena
Dr. Pratip Nag
In brief: Yes!!!
Absolutely! gynecologists frequently deal with UTI in females and they should be able to give you the right advice and treatment.

In brief: Yes!!!
Dr. Pratip Nag
Dr. Pratip Nag
Dr. David Doucette
Most gynecologists are very comfortable and willing to evaluate and treat urinary symptoms including potential infections.

Dr. David Doucette
Dr. David Doucette
Dr. Adam Smith