If a prion is just misfolded proteins, is it dead or alive? Does it have "life" encoded inside it?

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Metaphysically

Prions reproduce themselves by inducing the normally folded prion protein to misfold.
I would not think this is 'life' but it is open to interpretation.

In brief: Metaphysically

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Peter Glusker
Neurology

In brief: Prion

Prions are proteins that have changed conformation, so that the normal function of the protein inside the cells won't work.
The prions' also causes other normal proteins to misfold and make more prions, spreading the process. The prions affect many cells in the body, but they particularly harm nerve cells in the brain, causing progressive rapid degeneration. They are not alive, and have no dna.

In brief: Prion

Dr. Peter Glusker
Dr. Peter Glusker