If I have cirrhosis, will I look yellow?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Maybe

Patients with early cirrhosis can go many years without having their skin turn yellow.
So saying that because you have normal skin color you don't have cirrhosis is not accurate. Talk with your doctor about getting blood work for liver function tests.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Not always

Cirrhosis involves scarring of the liver tissue, with loss of functioning liver cells, and blockage of the normal paths within the liver that carry blood and bile.
In some people, the obstruction becomes severe early, and they get jaundice, in others it comes much later or not at all. Eventually, when the liver is highly scarred and damaged, most people will get jaundice with and dark urine.

In brief: Not always

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Steven Seres