How long does someone with stage 4 renal cell carcinoma have? Weeks? Months? A year?

It depends. I know that's what we always say. But stage 4 renal cancer prognosis depends on many factors. Someone who is very ill with an elevated ldh, elevated calcium, and anemia has months to a year. Someone who responded to immunotherapy and has normal labs may have several years or more. Your doctor knows, and if he/she is not saying, ask. And say you want the truth.
Everybody different. The 5 year survival for a patient with stage IV kidney cancer is about 11%. There is no way to know exactly how long any one patient will survive. Treasure every day, prepare for the worst, and appreciate the gift of being alive today!
D/w your oncologist. Will depend on the location of metastases, the type of cancer cells, how much metastases, other prognostic factors- overall condition etc. In general, from conventional studies- the median overall survival of stage 4 kidney cancer will be around 16 to 20 months- with a 5 year overall survival of 10% or less. Il-2 for selected cases, however, can give dramatic and durable responses. D/w your md.