Can anyone recommend a good laser eye surgeon in san jose, how can you tell he is a good surgeon?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Check locally

Your best source of information is your personal ophthalmologist who can advise you of the quality of his colleagues.
Be cautious about optometrists who may have an economic relationship with a laser surgeon. I am guessing you want lasik and if that is so, generally any surgeon who does more than 100 cases per year will have a terrific skill level.

In brief: Check locally

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Keshav Narain
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Several

Look for someone who has done a refractive surgery fellowship, is an active member of his specialty society, and a good track record.
Optometrists are often aware of who are good refractive surgeons. Interview and ask questions before you make your final decision. Ethics and competence are both important.

In brief: Several

Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Peter Kurzweil