In diabetic retionopathy, when vitreous haemorrhage occurs, should a vitrectomy be done or are there other treatments?

How Long? The key questions are how long have you had it? Is it recurrent? Have you had a complete prp laser? If you have a bleed and it clears in a few days, enough fo a complete laser to be placed in the office, then a vitrectomy may be avoided. Anti-vegf treatment may also buy some time. If the hemorrhage is non clearing after about 4 weeks or is recurrent, then vitrectomy may be a good option.
Depends. Bleeding int the eye (vitreous hemorrhage) secondary to diabetic retinopathy occurs in the presence of 'proliferative diabetic retinopathy' - the mainstay of treatment is laser photocoagulation to the retina and vitrectomy when severe or non-clearing. In the last few years, injection of anti-angionec medicines into the eye can forestall or prevent vitrectomy in certain situations.
See below. Vitrectomy is warranted if the vitreous hemorrhage takes too long to clear on its own, if there is an underlying retinal detachment that threatens central vision, or if eye pressure is too high. Sometimes injections of medicine into the eye (anti-vegf) can be tried in select cases first. Ask your retina specialist.