Does anyone use protopic ointment for eczema and other skin conditions? I heard there were some dangers.

Don't worry. There is no credible evidence that Protopic ointment causes skin cancer in humans. There is a warning label in the package insert, but it is based on data from mice who were *fed* huge quantities of the active ingredient. So if you are a mouse who loves to eat protopic, you might have a problem; if you are a human who is applying it to your skin in reasonable amounts, don't worry about it.
Some risk perhaps. Tacrolimus is in a class of medications called topical calcineurin inhibitors. It works by stopping the immune system from producing substances that may cause eczema. The fda did offer a warning about the risk of skin cancer in 2005. This concern is based on information from animal studies, case reports in a small number of patients, and how these drugs work. Discuss with your doctor.