What role does celiac disease play in peripheral neuropathy?

Common. Peripheral neuropathy (burning, tingling or numbness in hands or feet) is a relatively common finding in celiac disease and may predate other manifestations. Of concern, although it may 'just' be associated with nutritional deficiences, it 'can be' associated with lymphoma. Please be evaluated. Gltuen-free diet will not improve the neuropathy - but may prevent further deterioration.
Nutritional. Exact cause for neurologic complications is uncertain. Celiac disease involves intolerance to certain components of wheat and other grains as well as other food stuffs. There can be irritation of the stomach and bowel that interferes with the absorption of necessary nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. This can result in a systemic deficiency that can cause problems with peripheral nerve function.