Can I get laser eye surgery if I had a scleral buckle for a previous retinal detachement a couple of years ago?

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Maybe

As long as your vision is still correctable with glasses and all of your other measurements are normal, you can likely still have laser eye surgery.
I usually recommend surface laser or photorefractive keratectomy (prk) to avoid issue with increased intraocular pressure and theoretical retinal issues.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Tal Raviv
Ophthalmology

A scleral buckle is used to fix a retina detachment.
In doing so it also increases the myopia (nearsightedness) of the eye. Lasik can help improve the uncorrected vision. Usually retinal clearance is sought before hand. If a small cataract has developed, proceeding with cataract surgery first may be more prudent in correcting the vision.

Dr. Tal Raviv
Dr. Tal Raviv
Dr. Jack Hinkle