Question about refractive errors; can you change the eyeball shape like braces move teeth?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: ???

What an unusual question.
Not a stupid question at all, but one that i think both ophthalmologists and orthodontists alike will be stumped by. Surgical reshaping of the eye is done to correct visual pathology and orthodontics corrects dental arch pathology, other than that, I am unable to help you with an intelligible answer!

In brief: ???

What an unusual question.
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
2 comments
Dr. Alan Jackson
A refractive error is associated with the shape of the eye ball and the corneal shape. Correction is only done by LASIK on the cornea, surface of the eye. Not at all like braces!
Dr. David Schleimer
A malocclusion involves a disturbance in the curvature of the dental arch form or shape, braces are the method by which the arch form is restored or corrected. So Lasik surgical intervention seeks to do the same thing as braces, change the form to improve the function. So, if one can understand the concept of analogous situations/remedies, they are very much the same. A sculptor chisels a curve, a painter draws a curve, different tools, both allowing change of shape. This seems clear to me, but of course it is an opinion...
Dr. Matheson Harris
Ophthalmology

In brief: Sort of

There are special contact lenses that some doctors prescribe to gradually reshape the cornea.
They are often worn at night and left off during the day. If you stop wearing them for several days the eye shape gradually returns to its baseline. Unlike braces, changing the shape of the eye is not permanent. Lasik and other refractive surgeries do change the curvature of the cornea.

In brief: Sort of

Dr. Matheson Harris
Dr. Matheson Harris
Dr. Jonathan Jassey