How does celiac disease affect the small intestine?

Food malabsorption. Celiac disease leads to inflammation and damage of the lining of the small intestine, which causes decreased absorption of nutrients, vitamins, iron, etc... The intestinal lining loses its microscopic "villi", which are tiny protrusions that maximize the absorptive surface area needed to absorb nutrients. A patient gets diarrhea, anemia, lactose intolerance, tummy aches, irritable bowels, etc...
Celiac. Celiac is a loss of the enzymes that break down gluten. Over time there can be inflammation and irritation to the lining of the small bowel but this is minor especially if gluten is avoided.