Can some eye drops exacerbate your conjunctivitis?

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

As an interesting fact, most of the conjunctivitis I see is virally caused.
Often an affected individual has been treated at Urgent care facility after hrs, & is prescribed an antibiotic, usually an aminoglycoside (gentamicin, or tobramycin). When they see me, it's on the basis of worsening eye condition. Often (not always) 1 of these 2 antibiotics causes significant ocular Irritation.

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Mark Sibley
Dr.Fishburn is correct ..And in my practice the #1 eye drop that makes bloodshot eyes worse is Visine-like eye drops...Do NOT use those type of eye drops...
Dr. Robert Alexander
Surgery - Plastics

Some have preservatives (longer shelf life) and may also irritate the conjunctiva due to sensitivities of individual patients.

Dr. Robert Alexander
Dr. Robert Alexander