Question for people who know about strabismus and lazy eye: which comes first?

Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology
In brief: Strabismus
Lazy eye, or amblyopia, is caused by not being able to use the eyes together in a child.
Misaligned eyes, or strabismis, is the most common cause.

In brief: Strabismus
Dr. Tim Conrad
Dr. Tim Conrad
Dr. Thomas Seck
In brief: Depnds on definition
Lazy eye can refer either to the fact that the eyes don't line up right (one eye is too lazy to keep up with the other), also known as strabismus, or to the loss of vision that occurs when the brain starts to favor one eye, (one eye is too lazy to talk to the brain) also known as amblyopia.
Frequently amblyopia is caused by strabismus. Even doctors confuse them (hopefully not me).

In brief: Depnds on definition
Dr. Thomas Seck
Dr. Thomas Seck
Dr. Hamid Sajjadi
Strabismus comes first. But lazy eyes or amblyopia are different from strabismus. Although Strabismus can cause amblyopia there are other causes. Most common being anisometropia or one eye having higher refraction than other. Usually the more + or farsighted eye becomes amblyopic. Another cause is deprivation like in a severe congenital ptosis (droopy eyelid).