What must I avoid after a detached retina?

Dr. Ali Zaidi
Ophthalmology
In brief: Boxing
If you are 8 weeks out from retinal detachment surgery, then you can resume most activities.
You can read, watch tv, run, bike, even lift weights. Most sports are ok, too. I would avoid sports where you are going to get hit in the face or eye, like boxing. If you are an avid basketball, football, or soccer player, you may wish to wear eye protection.

In brief: Boxing
Dr. Ali Zaidi
Dr. Ali Zaidi
Dr. Bernard Godley
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery
In brief: Depends
Once the retina has been reattached, it should remain stable.
Depending on how the detachment was repaired you may still be susceptible to a recurrence if vitreous is still present. Therefore, avoid activities with violent head movements.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Bernard Godley
Dr. Bernard Godley