Woke up this morning and my left eye hurts and my eyelid is swollen. What can cause this?

Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology
In brief: Infection or injury
Infection or injury is the most likely cause.
See an ophthalmologist if this does not clear up in a few days.

In brief: Infection or injury
Dr. Tim Conrad
Dr. Tim Conrad
Dr. William Fagman
Ophthalmology
In brief: Possible infection
The first thing we need to know is if the pain in the eyelid in the area that is swollen or if it is actually the eyeball that is painful.
If the eyelid is painful, most likely there is an infection in the lid which need to be treated with topicla and possibly oral antibiotics. If the eyeball is painful, then the swelling in the eyelid is a reaction to whatever is causing the pain.

In brief: Possible infection
Dr. William Fagman
Dr. William Fagman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine