Do you need birth control for premature ovarian failure?

No. I recommend to most women that they be on hormonal supplementation. Some women choose birth control pills. Most women choose a lower dose of estrogen and progesterone, and many women use a skin patch instead of a pill. Treatment is very individual!
Maybe. Some cases of "premature ovarian failure" are transient and normal ovarian function might return after certain time. In true ovarian failure, birth control is not necessary. However, you will benefit greatly from hormone replacement program.