Can you explain what biliary colic is?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Gallbladder Attack
Gallstones cause pain by blocking the duct that connects the gallbladder to the intestinal tract.
When the gallbladder is obstructed and gets stimulated to contract, it cannot empty, leading to biliary colic: constant, non-cramping , pressure-like pain, localized to the right upper or midline upper abdomen. Within an hour or so, the stone moves, the blockage is relieved, and the pain goes away.

In brief: Gallbladder Attack
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Michael Engel
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: I agree with
Dr. Rosen's answer. Excellent description of the problem and its spontaneous resolution.
Of note, some patients are at increased risk for developing gall stones, and the nature of the stone can also influence consequences of having them. For example pts w/ sickle cell disease r at risk for pigment (rather than cholesterol) stones and have elevated risk for gram negative sepsis w/ cholecystitis.

In brief: I agree with
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Michael Engel