How do you decide to go through with icsi IVF or iui?

Dr. Scott Roseff
Fertility Medicine
In brief: It's all about sperm
If a man has severe deficits in his sperm, IUI is likely to fail.
A board certified reproductive endocrinologist would evaluate the sperm and decide if someone is best served by IUI vs. Ivf with icsi.

In brief: It's all about sperm
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Jay Nemiro
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Interesting question
6 cycles of IUI on injectable medications costs around the same as one cycle of ivf.
One takes 6+ months and ivf takes 6 weeks. Here is the "rub". 6 cycles of IUI is not as successful as 1 cycle of ivf. So it is a choice. By doing iui, you "gamble" that it works in 2-3 attempts and save money; but if not, than ultimately it costs more because when IUI does not work, you have to go to ivf.

In brief: Interesting question
Dr. Jay Nemiro
Dr. Jay Nemiro
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Test Sperm
Iui works best with normal sperm although mild male factors may benefit too.
Icsi is a treatment for sperm that cannot enter the egg by itself. Determining who needs icsi is tricky. About 40% of infertility is male related but about 65% of ivf cycle use icsi (overused). I have a special acrosome reaction test (not widely available) that helps me decide and my center uses icsi about 40%. Get rei.

In brief: Test Sperm
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham