Hormone replacement therapy forever like in my mother's generation?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Different thinking
Since release of women's health initiative over a decade ago, our concept on hormone replacement, specifically estrogen & progesterone, have changed 180 degrees.
Immediately after, we said no one should receive hrt. Now we advocate taking it only if necessary (and not for prevention) and for as short a period of time as possible. But even as i type this, the tide is changing. Keep open dialogue.

In brief: Different thinking
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology
In brief: Depends
If you start hrt early in menopause & continue, especially if monitored appropriately, hrt should be safe for many years.
The recommendation is to keep hrt for short periods is based on the whi which studied only Premarin (conjugated estrogens) & provera. I fail to see how you can extrapolate that to every hrt available in this market.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Adam Levy