My doctor says I have pre-barrett's esophagus, how worried should I be?

Dr. John Edmison
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Have doctor clarify.
There is no such diagnosis as pre-barrett's, therefore you should have your doctor clarify what he/she specifically means.
In most instances, they are indicating the presence of reflux esophagitis or hiatal hernia.

In brief: Have doctor clarify.
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. John Edmison
In brief: Close follow up
It means that the lining in you lower esophagus has been damaged usually by the the acid and/or bile in your stomach.
A severe form of barretts is associated with developing cancer. Therefore you should follow your doctors advice ( reduce weight, take anti acid medication, and be followed with endoscopy closely).

In brief: Close follow up
Dr. Giovanni Giannotti
Dr. Giovanni Giannotti
Dr. Adam Smith