My brother just had a double lung transplant. What are his chances?

Dr. Lyall Gorenstein
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Excellent

One year survival is > 90%, and the 5 year survival over 60% and perhaps better depending on the reason he was transplanted we wish him the best of luck.

In brief: Excellent

Dr. Lyall Gorenstein
Dr. Lyall Gorenstein
Dr. David Masiello
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Good

The median (50%) survival for a lung transplant is approximalty 5 1/2 years accoridng to the registry, apteitns who undergo double lung transplant have a 7 year median survial as do patietn who are younger. THe most common cause of death is graft failure (25% of all mortality) and is most common in the first 30 days follwoing transplant.

In brief: Good

Dr. David Masiello
Dr. David Masiello
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Management info

The transplantation decision is very complex, and I hope that he does well.
Monitoring for infection and rejection are major parts of the management. Avoiding open soil, gardens and construction sites will help reduce the colonization of fungus in the airway. One year survival is over 90% at most centers.

In brief: Management info

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh