I just had a aortic valve replacement surgery and it was replaced with animal valve. Could I get infection?

Dr. Irv Loh
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: All valves at risk
All prosthetic valves are at risk for endocarditis, a very serious development if precautions to minimize risk are not taken.
The good news is that bio prosthetic valves, like yours, are generally easier to heal with antibiotics than purely mechanical ones, thus less likely to need reoperation.

In brief: All valves at risk
Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Steven Guyton
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Very unlikely
Most patients who have an aortic valve replacement in the us these days get some type of animal tissue.
These are carefully treated to minimize the risk of infection.

In brief: Very unlikely
Dr. Steven Guyton
Dr. Steven Guyton
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology