What can cause sudden and severe low back pain?

Spine Pain Options. This chronic pain in the distribution as you suggested is the result of an irritated nerve or facet joints or other injury typically in the lumbar spine (low back) which are caused by herniated disks, spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease, etc requiring further evaluation by a spine specialist and may be candidate for facet injections/radiofrequency ablation and epidural steroid injection.
Severe low back pain. There are many causes of low back pain, but most commonly sudden severe low back pain is from a tear, bulge, or herniation of an intervertebral disc. Depending on your age and other factors, your symptoms can be from other causes as well, such as a slippage of one vertebra on another, or other less common causes. You should see a physiatrist or other spine specialist for evaluation.
Variety of things. Hard to say, anything from a disc herniation to a muscle strain.