Infant with rectal bleeding and vomiting. Could this be necrotizing enterocolitis?

Please see answer. Necrotizing enterocolitis is a bowel disease that typically affects preterm infants, infants less than 37 weeks when born. Full term infants may be affected by this condition but it is rare and very unlikely. If the infant is full term, other diagnoses would include malrotation with volvulus. Regardless, it is important to seek prompt medical attention for this condition.
Milk protein allergy. Necrotizing enterocolitis occurs in premature babies and only rarely in full term babies (ie born 37 weeks or later). Babies with nec are sickly appearing and should be attended to immediately. If the baby is about 1 month old and you are getting vomiting and blood in the stool you should speak with your doctor about milk protein allergy (mpa). Usually the baby is not sickly appearing with mpa.
Yes. Necrotizing enterocolitis is a disease that usually only affects prematures. Rectal bleeding and vomiting should be checked out with your physician regardless of the age of the infant as it could be something serious.

Related Questions

What can cause an infant to get necrotizing enterocolitis?

Pre mature babies. Necrotizing enterocolitis nec frequantly seen low birth weight premature babies, exact cause is not clearly known, likely due to lack of oxygen to intestine due low flow of blood, sepsis, intestinal mucosa, not fully developed or damage to it by high concentration of milk ( reasons for breast feedings). Read more...

What can be done to treat infant with rectal bleeding and vomiting?

Go to the ER. This could be a sign of a dangerous condition called intussusception. In babies, the end of the small bowel telescopes in to the colon, causing obstruction. Go to the er or your pediatrician. Read more...

Infant with rectal bleeding and vomiting? Nec?

Not necessarily. Nec is most common in premature infants. There is a lot of information needed in this case...Age of baby, what are you feeding child, any fever, etc. This is a subject best discussed with your child's doctor and soon. Read more...