How does meconium aspiration syndrome affect a baby?

In brief: Respiratory distress
Meconium is the production the baby expels from the colon and rectum that built up while in utero .
When meconium is expelled in utero and the baby's first breath results in inhaling into the lungs, the baby cannot absorb oxygen well. Sometimes we can suction it from nose, mouth and trachea and the baby will be fine. Sometimes, it is so severe, the baby needs mechanical ventilation or ecmo.

In brief: Respiratory distress
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Alan Patterson
In brief: It is not good
Ypur neonatologist or pediatrician can answer this better than me.
It is not good as the meconium is very irritative to lungs, can cause breathing , other problems. Also some times it can be associated with descreased oxygen to the baby in labor or in utero which can cause problems, strees on the baby can cause meconium. Also more common if you go overdue. I do not allow my pts to go overdue.

In brief: It is not good
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Shontae Buffington