My newborn son has tetralogy of fallot which will require open heart surgery. I am so scared. Any advice?

TOF. Tetralogy of fallot is a fairly common congenital heart defect. It requires surgery in infancy. Most children do fine, and can play with their friends. Often a second surgery is required as a teen to replace the pulmonary valve. Although competitive sports are generally prohibited, they can work, and have children. Lifelong cardiac follow-up is essential.
Visit the cardiac . Nicu where he'll be recovering to familiarize yourself with the sights & sounds of tubes, lines & monitors that will insure your baby's safety. Get an electric breast pump. Talk to the nurses about storing breast milk, your sleeping arrangements, & sterilizing " blankies" & toys from home. Visit parents & children who had similar surgeries. Call on your support system to remain calm & positive.
Good results. One of the "blue baby " etiologies of the 1940s. Long track record with correction and good life style. Does run in families so check any grandkids early.
TETRALOGY OF FALLOT. If your son is having a lot of cyanosis and very symptomatic of tet which are severe cyanosis and problem breathing, operation for uncomplicated cases are done after 3-4 months of age and mortality rate is only less than 3percent. If untreated 55 percent grow up to 10 years old. So , there's hope for your son. Please ask your cardiologist.Good luck!