My baby girl has tetralogy of fallot. Is there anyway to survive without having heart surgery?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: As scary as it is

I can tell you as a grandparent of a child who had open heart surgery at 2 days of age for complex cyanotic congenital heart disease, that whatever the complications of surgery, your child has the best chance of a long and happy life if it is done.
Gather your support team, meet parents who have been through this and find a a center that has all the specialists your child needs. You can do this.

In brief: As scary as it is

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Barton Cook
Good answer!
Dr. Barton Cook
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: No

Patients with tetralogy of fallot are not expected to survive to adulthood without surgery.
Surgery is effective, and has a low mortality rate.

In brief: No

Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Nela Cordero

In brief: TETRALOGY OF FALLOT

Mortality rate is less than 3 percent for uncomplicated cases.
For untreated patients, survival rates are 55 percent at 5years and 30 percent at 10 years.

In brief: TETRALOGY OF FALLOT

Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Cindy Juster