Why is the medical establishment so resistant to home birth?

Dr. Timothy Brown

In brief: Liability

Aside from the fact that none of us want to be in a situation where there is a serious complication with mom and/or baby and appropriate facilities are not readily available, any bad result is grounds for a lawsuit and liability coverage is either not available or very expensive.
Fix the liability system and i think you will find the medical establishment more accepting.

In brief: Liability

Dr. Timothy Brown
Dr. Timothy Brown
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Agree but also because we have seen the other side. Most of us have seen disaster strike over the years. We have seen how fast a perfect pregnancy can become a life threatening emergency. We want to best, safest outcome for moms and babies. How we get there can vary but at the end of the day what matters is a healthy mom and healthy baby above anything else.

In brief: Knowledge

A couple approaching childbirth has a limited knowledge base, preferring the "never would happen to me" approach.
Some think that if problems arose they could just call an ambulance and things would be fine.They are unaware of the precious minutes lost that may mean a dead or injured baby. I, like many docs have seen far too many "normal" pregnancies with scary outcomes.

In brief: Knowledge