What are the long-term effects of surviving bacterial meningitis?

In brief: Several side effects
Bacterial meningitis is a severe infection of the covering of the brain.
It can lead to death within 24 hrs. It can also result in hearing loss, vision loss or decrease, and mental retardation. In infancy, it can also lead to cerebral palsy. And in some cases can cause seizures.

In brief: Several side effects
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
In brief: Many do quite well
Before we had the multiple vaccines we have today, bacterial meningitis was quite common.
Delays in DX can still mean tragic permanent disability or death. Early DX & rx reduce long term problems. Today i look for hearing or seizure problems( some they grow out of) or other signs of subtile change. The majority that are treated agressively do well. One of my office assts kids has no pbs 20 yr latr.

In brief: Many do quite well
Dr. Peter Kurzweil