What are the long-term effects of surviving bacterial meningitis?

In brief: Several side effects

Bacterial meningitis is a severe infection of the covering of the brain.
It can lead to death within 24 hrs. It can also result in hearing loss, vision loss or decrease, and mental retardation. In infancy, it can also lead to cerebral palsy. And in some cases can cause seizures.

In brief: Several side effects

Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier

In brief: Many do quite well

Before we had the multiple vaccines we have today, bacterial meningitis was quite common.
Delays in DX can still mean tragic permanent disability or death. Early DX & rx reduce long term problems. Today i look for hearing or seizure problems( some they grow out of) or other signs of subtile change. The majority that are treated agressively do well. One of my office assts kids has no pbs 20 yr latr.

In brief: Many do quite well

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care