Can a urogynecologist fix my incontinence better than my regular obgyn?

Dr. Marlon White
In brief: Depends
As a general obgyn, i treat this problem routinely.
Most women have an established relationship with an obgyn, so discuss there first. If referral is needed, your personal physician can assist you.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Marlon White
Dr. Marlon White
Dr. Earle Pescatore
In brief: Often
A urogynecologist focuses their practice on the treatment of the pelvic floor disorders.
A urogyn likely has more experience than your general ob/gyn. If you have an unusual history or complications from previous surgery i would strongly encourage you to seek care from a specialist for your opportunity of the best outcome.

In brief: Often
Dr. Earle Pescatore
Dr. Earle Pescatore
Dr. Robert Harris
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology
In brief: Probably
A physician who is fellowship trained likely will be better equipped to manage this issue for you.

In brief: Probably
Dr. Robert Harris
Dr. Robert Harris
Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
Gynecology
In brief: Loaded question
I am a urogyn so of course i want to say "yes".
However any gynecologist, urogynecologist or urologist can do it. You need to find someone whom has done a lot of cases and feels comfortable handling the complications. It never hurts to get a second opinion prior to surgery.

In brief: Loaded question
Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
Dr. Kevin O'neil
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology
In brief: Depends
There are many obgyn's who have years of experience treating female incontinence and do a very good job.
You should ask your obgyn what their experience is.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Kevin O'neil
Dr. Kevin O'neil
Dr. Scott Beard
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology
In brief: Possibly
For most obgyns OB is a large focus of their practice.
Even if u have just straight forward incontinence u need a doc who has done at least 100 slings. Most urogyns in practice for a few year have done several hundred.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Scott Beard