Do I seriously have to have surgical cystoscopy for my doctor to diagnose interstitial cystitis?

Dr. Scott Beard
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

In brief: No

Not unless you've tried all the basic stuff like diet first.
Your doc should always try that first. The aua has a protocol and cysto is about 1/2way through. Try ichelp.Org the american urologic association has made clear that cystoscopy with hydrodistention does play a role, its just later down the line for non-responders. Some patients even get soem relief with it.

In brief: No

Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Denise Elser
Gynecology

In brief: No

Ic or painful bladder syndrome (pbs) is a constellation or collection of symptoms including pelvic and bladder symptoms.
In the past, cystoscopy was a big part of the diagnosis, but adds little value today. If you have blood in the urine or recurrent bacterial bladder infections, then the cystoscopy may be of some benefit.

In brief: No

Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Marsha Davis