What is the best natural source apart from sunshine to help keep the vitamin d levels up?

Fortified foods. The flesh of fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel) and fish liver oils are among the best sources. Small amounts of vitamin d are found in beef liver, cheese, and egg yolks. Some mushrooms provide vitamin d2 in variable amounts. Ready-to-eat breakfast cereals often contain added vitamin d, as do some brands of orange juice, yogurt, margarine and other food products.
Fish. Fatty fishes (tuna, mackerel, catfish, salmon) are one source. Eggs have some; beef liver has a little. Cod liver oil has a lot. After that, you're looking at fortified dairy products or cereals that have vitamin d added to them, or vitamin d supplements or multi-vitamins.