Can you overdose on vitamin d?

Yes. Vitamin d is stored in fat cells. If someone takes in too much vitamin d, they could have too much calcium in their urine, raising the risk for kidney stones, or too much calcium in the blood, causing nausea, constipation, excessive thirst and urination, muscle weakness, depression, or confusion.
Yes, but difficult. You can overdose on anything, particularly when it's over-the-counter. There is generally no real reason to take more than 2, 000 u of d3/day over the long term. There is also generally no benefit. Higher doses may be needed short term, since it makes months for d to get in your system. Follow your doctor's instructions.

Related Questions

Can you overdose on vitamin a or d?

Can be toxic. Fat soluble vitamins can be toxic when overdosed. That includes a, e, d, and k. Overdose can cause problems with skin, hair, bones, liver function, and blood pressure in the brain. Hair can fall out, headaches can occur, and if pregnant, toxicity can case birth defects in the infant. Be very carefully with all fat soluble vitamins. If you have concerns about your levels, talk to your doctor. Read more...

Had 2 EKG done a week apart. Once because overdose on vitamin D with severe chest pain. I can feel my heart hurting but dr says EKG came out regular?

No heart feeling. At your age the heart problems are usually not as prevalent as in the later. The heart hurting feeling can be due to a lot of other conditions, and stomach acid is one of them. Don't worry for this being a heart related issue. Good luck. Read more...

What are the symptoms of overdosing with vitamin d?

High calcium. Excess vtiamin d can result in a high blood calcium level and, as a result, excess calcium in the urine. The latter can cause kidney stones. The high blood calcium can cause fatigue and general symptoms of lethargy. Read more...

How do I know how much vitamin d is considered overdose?

Wide Variation. “considered” good word. Reality: no one truly knows until after the fact, bad things happen & people guess at various possible reasons for bad things. ?>10k/day x wks. Like everything else, most of life about trial & error. Most people reason by association & assumptions, not more basic & reliable principles, i.e. Scientific method. Study min 22:40-25:30 of " //foundation.Bz/20 " for better wisdom. Read more...
Gets you in trouble. Anything that is too much over too long a period of time and leads to excessive levels, hypercalcemia, and toxicity. Usually 2000 u of vitamin d3/day is sufficient for the vast majority of patients, but it will take up to 3 mod to equilibrate in your body. Check w/your doctor. Read more...

How much vitamin d should you take in a day? Is it possibel to overdose?

Vitamin D. Depends on many factors e.g. Age, amount of skin exposed to sun rays daily, use of sun blockers, time of day that skin is exposed, race, location, and other factors. The best source of vitamin d is that which your body makes from exposure of the naked skin to the sun rays. If this is not optimal then vit. D supplementation is necessary. Keep the blood level above 40 but below 90 for safety. Read more...
1000 units. Yes it is possible to overdose. Blood levels can provide an accurate assesment of how much you may need. Read more...
800-2000 units a day. Dose depends on your personal medical history. For an average healthy person, 800-1000 units of vit d2 per day is fine, for other folks with documented vit d deficiency or osteoporosis, you may need more. Note, people with medical problems like tuberculosis or sarcoidosis may be harmed by taking vit d supplements. Most experts recommend up to 2000 units a day, to avoid overdose. Read more...
800 units or so. There is not an exact known limit for vit d in adults, but too much can be toxic. This is because vit d increases calcium and phosphorus absorption, and too much calcium for example can cause constipation or kidney stones. It is not clear that everyone benefits from vitamin d supplements, but if you do take it, 800-1000 units daily seems to be plenty, and safe. Read more...

Vitamin d overdose. What can help!?

Her are some tips. 1. Avoidance of direct sunlight exposure. 2. Avoidance of foods and supplements containing vitamin d. 3. Restriction of calcium intake. 4. Drinking 8 glasses of water daily. Read more...

What are the tests for vitamin d overdose?

Vitamin d, calcium. Excess vitamin d intake will result in an elevated vitamin d level. If the excess is significant this can result in an elevated blood calcium. Read more...
Blood Test VitD&Calc. Blood test for 25 Hydroxyvitamin and Calcium level may be high if vitamin level is high.Toxic level of vitamin D is over 100ng/dl.And very high Cacium can cause other abnormalities. Read more...