Started metformin for prediabetes and noticed my desire to overeat has disappeared. Is keeping blood glucose in the 80s all ther is to weight loss?

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Depends

Metformin and blood sugar control can be a miracle for newly diagnosed type ii diabetics.
If you eat your healthy diabetic diet with appropriate calories and exercise you should be fine. When your cells are starved for sugar you might think you are hungry when you are not. Always remember you have to do your part!

In brief: Depends

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Louis Krenn

In brief: Not really

Hopefully your decreased appetite and lower blood sugar means you are eating fewer calories.
This is what will lead to weight loss. You want to follow a healthy lifestyle which should include a low carb, low fat, healthy diet and regular physicial activity. All of this will lead to the desired weight loss and prevention of diabetes. The metformin will assist you.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Louis Krenn
Dr. Louis Krenn
Dr. Christopher Dowd

In brief: No but it can help

Metformin tends to have some GI effects & 1 can be decreased appetite.
Normalizing your glucose also helps, as does good food choices (avoid simple sugars/carbs, for example, & incorporate some protein into each meal/snack & this will help maintain satiety longer after eating). I would also add that exercise is important in health & wt loss, even if it isn't necc as strong a contributor as diet.

In brief: No but it can help

Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Vicken Poochikian