Is a thyroid nodule fna biopsy painful?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: It varies
The level of discomfort experienced can vary considerably.
Different people have different pain tolerance. Inflammatory nodules are likely to be more tender than cysts or tumors. Different doctors choose different size needles. Some use lidocaine, a local anesthetic, some do not. Most patients experience a level of pain similar to what they feel while getting an IV started.

In brief: It varies
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Brendan Stack, Jr.
Surgery - Head & Neck
In brief: FNA and pain
These are generally not painful.
I speak from both personal and professional experience. There is mainly a pressure sensation.

In brief: FNA and pain
These are generally not painful.
Dr. Brendan Stack, Jr.
Dr. Brendan Stack, Jr.
Dr. Richard Strabbing
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Not lasting pain
Most of my patients who undergo thyroid fna biopsy state that there is some pain, but nothing last lasts beyond a few minutes.
Some surgeons will place a small amount of local anesthetic in the skin around the thyroid so that the patient will not feel the "sting" of the needle piercing the skin. The fna biopsy is better describes as uncomfortable as opposed to painful.

In brief: Not lasting pain
Dr. Richard Strabbing
Dr. Richard Strabbing
Dr. Steven Seres