How uncomfortable is the first mammogram after lumpectomy?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology
In brief: Depends on
how soon after the lumpectomy, and the extent of the surgery.
If everything is healed, it probably won't feel any more uncomfortable than it did before.

In brief: Depends on
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Similar to Pre-Op
Following a lumpectomy for breast cancer, we usually wait 6 months before getting a follow-up mammogram.
By then, most of the healing has taken place and the mammogram is not too different than preop. Rarely, a mammogram is ordered soon after surgery, but the techs know to be very gentle under these circumstances.

In brief: Similar to Pre-Op
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: DON'T KNOW
It varies from person to person, one tip that has worked well with my patients is to take Ibuprofen (motrin) 200 ~ 600 mg, 30 min ~ 1hr before the mammogram.

In brief: DON'T KNOW
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham