Are thyroid nodules less likely to be cancerous when I have been taking Synthroid (thyroxine) for 20 years?

Not always. There is a slight increased risk of thyroid cancer in people with hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common cause of hypothyroidism. If the nodule(s) have been stable for 20 years, they are unlikely to be cancerous. Any new nodules are assumed to be suspicious and should have an ultrasound and possibly a biopsy.
No. Synthroid (thyroxine) treatment for thyroid nodules, regardless of length of treatment, does not affect the risk of thyroid cancer. The decision to biopsy and/or remove the thyroid nodule is made independent of synthroid (thyroxine) use.