After bi-lateral breast reconstruction surgery with implants, can I use my chest area?

Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes but be careful

When used for breast reconstruction, breast implants are placed under the "pec" muscle.
As you work your chest, your pec muscles compress and push the implants out to the side. Light chest work outs shouldn't make a difference longterm. More aggressive chest work outs can widen the implant pocket over time which can lead to the implants being displaced sideways, especially when you're laying down.

In brief: Yes but be careful

Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Surgery - Plastics

After an appropriate amount of recovery, you should be able to use your chest muscles, particularly the pectoralis without any restriction.
Most often, implants are placed underneath the muscle. I often tell my patients to wait 2-3 months before any rigorous use of their chest to prevent the implant from migrating or moving from its intended location.

Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Sure (eventually)

Although I am simplifying, i think of implants as breast prostheses that you "wear" under your skin.
During the initial operation a tissue expander is placed under the pec muscle; this is expanded over weeks to slowly stretch the skin, until the space is large enough to accommodate a permanent implant. While this can cause discomfort, it improves over time. Eventually, one has few restrictions.

In brief: Sure (eventually)

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Surgery - Plastics

After appropriate time for healing, you should have no restrictions.

Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Adam Levy