Can women be breastfeeding mothers when they have breast implants?

Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: You can try
Some women with or without breast implants are not able to produce enough milk to exclusively breast feed.
Women with breast implants can try breast feeding; the surgery may or may not change their ability to produce enough milk, so i advise all my patients that they may have to supplement. There is no scientific evidence to my knowledge that women with implants should not breastfeed.

In brief: You can try
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery
In brief: Yes.
Cosmetic implant placement should not impact the ability to breastfeed.
The implants should be placed behind the chest wall (pectoralis) muscle for screening purposes to avoid trapping any glandular tissue behind the implant where it can't be felt or imaged with mammography. Typical incisions for cosmetic implants (inframammary, axillary) are away from the nipple complex.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Maybe.
Most patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery are able to breast-feed.
However, any type of breast surgery is associated with a potential decreased ability to do so; exactly how much this decrease is it is hard to say given that some women are not able to breast-feed, even without having had breast surgery previously.

In brief: Maybe.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Surgery - Plastics
Women can breastfeed after breast implants, particularly when the incision is away from the nipple and the implant is placed beneath the pectorals muscle.
However, i would not recommend placing the implants during the time a mother is breastfeeding. I generally recommend that the mother stop breastfeeding for at least 6 months.

Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Cindy Juster