How long before/after breast augmentation surgery do I have to stop working out?

Dr. Gary Tuma
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Working out after
I recommend no working out for 4-6 weeks after breast surgery.
You need to give your body time to heal. It is important that the implants remain where your surgeon placed them in the operating room. Also trauma and bleeding after surgery can predispose you to capsular contracture.

In brief: Working out after
Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 2 weeks
2 weeks for light exercise.
Let your body be your guide. If it is hurting, it is probably hurting your result. More strenuous exercise typically possible by 6 weeks.

In brief: 2 weeks
2 weeks for light exercise.
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Scott Tucker
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Day before
You can work out the day before, but will need to wait about 6 weeks afterward.

In brief: Day before
Dr. Scott Tucker
Dr. Scott Tucker
Dr. Hashim Alani
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Working out
After augmentation you may need to weeks of no working out , as moving your chest muscles may even be painful at the beginning.

In brief: Working out
Dr. Hashim Alani
Dr. Hashim Alani
Dr. Greg Sexton
I tell my patients not to do any weight lifting exercises for the chest or shoulders for 6 weeks to allow for healing of the pectoralis muscle.
Dr. David Levens
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Only a brief time
Most patients can return to full daily activities within a few days although there will be some soreness and swelling for a few weeks.
Return to work typically by 3-5 days as long as it does not involve heavy lifting and extreme repetitive activities. Light exercise (walking, treadmill, cycling) within 1-2 weeks, more vigorous by 3-4 weeks then unrestricted (chest exercises) by 4-6 weeks.

In brief: Only a brief time
Dr. David Levens
Dr. David Levens
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Working Out?
It will not be necessary to “stop working out” before breast augmentation surgery.
However, you should plan on a period of rest after the procedure. I asked patients to avoid heavy lifting/strenous activity for 4 to 6 weeks after the procedure is performed. On the other hand, with the approval of your plastic surgeon, you may be able to start lower body workouts very quickly. Best wishes.

In brief: Working Out?
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Alexander Nein
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not long
Before surgery you don't need to stop at all.
Afterwards, wait until you feel comfortable resuming your workout. I generally prefer that any activity that involves bouncing (jogging, running, jumping, horseback riding) be postponed for a few weeks after surgery. Ask your surgeon for his/her recommendation.

In brief: Not long
Dr. Alexander Nein
Dr. Alexander Nein
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: It depends
Usually no workouts of the chest for a week before and no chest works out for 3 or 4 weeks after if under the muscle.
If on top of the muscle then there is usually a restriction of a few days.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Jorge De la Pedraja
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 8 wks post surgery
Typically patients can walk as much as they want to as soon as they want to.
You should not do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 8 weeks. You are not going to want to bounce for 8 weeks.

In brief: 8 wks post surgery
Dr. Jorge De la Pedraja
Dr. Jorge De la Pedraja
Dr. Dennis Dass
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Recovery
Check with your surgeon.
I usually recommend six weeks before strenuous exercises. http://www.dassmd.com/breast-augmentation/index.html.

In brief: Recovery
Check with your surgeon.
Dr. Dennis Dass
Dr. Dennis Dass
Dr. Stan Castor
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Working out
Stop lifting heavy weights for about 6 weeks.
Light cardio such as walking on a treadmill or riding an exercise bike can be done in 2 weeks after breast augmentation surgery.

In brief: Working out
Dr. Stan Castor
Dr. Stan Castor
Dr. Robert Schnarrs
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Breast augment
You can work out at 4 weeks post operative lifting, you can do a light work out in two weeks if it is walking or light treadmill.

In brief: Breast augment
Dr. Robert Schnarrs
Dr. Robert Schnarrs