If you have thyroid cancer will your TSH level in your blood test be abnormal?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Not usually
Most people with thyroid cancer have thyroid glands that work normally, and have a normal TSH - at least until they are removed! it is possible to have thyroid cancer and have an abnormal tsh, but this is uncommon.

In brief: Not usually
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Hopefully
After surgery, we try to suppress potential regrowth of thyroid ca by giving a larger than normal dose of thyroid hormone (synthroid (thyroxine) or similar products).
This will tell the pituitary gland to stop producing thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) so the TSH level will be lower than normal and perhaps, undetectable.

In brief: Hopefully
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
I may have misunderstood your question! I agree with Dr. Wingo that an abnormal TSH is not a diagnostic test for thyroid cancer. We try to make it artificailly low after the thyroid has been removed.
Dr. Adam Smith