Are general practitioners a dying breed of specialists?

Dr. Robert Woods

In brief: Their Numbers Fall

Traditionally a general practitioner (gp)is a physician who completes 4 years of undergraduate study, 4 years of medical school and finally a one year internship.
Then the physician must pass a comprehensive exam before receiving a medical license. Today we see many more physicians opting to complete three year programs in family and internal medicine. The end result, fewer and fewer gp's.

In brief: Their Numbers Fall

Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Patrick Sweet III
I suspect that mid-levels are filling the vacuum created by this dying breed (in the US). I wonder whether the Institute of Medicine considered whether that is a good thing or not.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil