Can polycystic ovarian disease cause a woman to be overweight?

Yes. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (pco) causes the body to respond less well to insulin, so that higher Insulin levels are needed to keep glucose (sugar) under control. These higher Insulin levels can make people feel hungrier than usual so they eat more, and make it easier to gain weight.
Yes. Pcos is related to Insulin resistance which when consuming simple sugars ( white breads, white pasta, and idaho potatoes), will lead to the calories that are produced to be transferred to fat stores easily. To help reduce weight try to eat foods that are in the low glycemic index category.