Do pediatricians ever support my the decision not to vaccinate?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: They Shouldn't

Immunizations may be the single safest, most effective heath intervention produced in the last 100 years.
They are proven to be 99% effective, safe and haved saved literally millions of children's lives. A caring, educated doctor immunizes.Why would not believe the facts in this situation and not immunize?Why risk the child's health based upon very poor info?

In brief: They Shouldn't

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Marc Grella

In brief: No

Pediatricians are overwhelmingly put on this earth to help children.
Except in a few circumstances (immune deficiency, etc), non-vaccination (nv) is not in a child's best interest, so you will have to work to find a doc who feels this is a smart move. We are fortunate to live in a time when diseases like measles, polio, and tetanus are uncommon but with more nv children these are coming back.

In brief: No

Dr. Marc Grella
Dr. Marc Grella

In brief: No

Being able to prevent serious illness is one of the best parts of my job.
My grandma told me stories of how she would worry every summer that her kids would catch polio and be paralyzed. Thanks to the vaccine, i've never seen a case of polio. Diseases that used to worry mothers and hospitalize children are now preventable with simple (and safe) vaccines. That's why my daughter has all her shots.

In brief: No

Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Dr. Randolph Thomas

In brief: Hopefully no

As a pediatrician who trained prior to the introduction of the hib and pneumococcal vaccines and saw many neurologically devastating cases of meningitis and sepsis causing the loss of life and limb, i could never support the decision not to vaccinate.
I'm civil with anti-vaccine parents, try to find out their specific reasons for objecting, and in many cases get them to allow vaccines.

In brief: Hopefully no

Dr. Randolph Thomas
Dr. Randolph Thomas
Dr. Scott Katz

In brief: No

Vaccines are arguably the most important medical tool we have in our modern society, and a key reason we are living longer. In rare circumstances a child may have a medical condition that precludes vaccination, however doctors who advocate against vaccines are not practicing good medicine.
Who knows what other "rules" they may bend when treating your child.

In brief: No

Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: No

Not really. Pediatricians know that vaccines are the most important public health advance and provide excellent protection against potentially life threatening diseases.
Many pediatricians will be happy to discuss the pros and cons of vaccines with you, and some will accomodate "alternate" vaccine schedules.

In brief: No

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: No

Most pediatricians believe vaccinations are necessary and valuable unless a child is allergic to a vaccination or there are other specific medical contraindications to a vaccine.
Vaccines are one of the most miraculous discoveries in healthcare and have significantly decreased deaths during infancy and childhood from infectious diseases.

In brief: No

Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Kevin Windisch

In brief: No

I won't welcome vaccine refusing patients into my office.
I don't want vaccine refusers to spread life threatening diseases to my patients who are too young to vaccinate.

In brief: No

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Patricia Vuguin

In brief: No

Usually pediatricians are pro vaccinations so my advice will be to do some research on vaccines and educate yourself about the possible complications of not being vaccinated.

In brief: No

Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Dr. Patricia Vuguin

Each patient is an individual, so in very special cases, the doctor may skip some vaccine(s) or give them to the patient when the patient is older. This may be done if there is a medical reason to suspect the child has an abnormal immune system at the time.

Dr. Kevin Considine

In brief: Yes, Depends

As a physician, i believe vaccinations are the best tool to prevent very serious and potentially fatal infections in children.
But in some circumstances ie. History of serious vaccine reaction or parental beliefs - a modified vaccine schedule or a religious/intellectual belief to not vaccinate would be respected. I would try to dissuade you of course but the ultimate decison would be yours.

In brief: Yes, Depends

Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Jonathan Jassey