If I have depression and can not take ssris should I see a family physician or psychiatrist?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: A Psychaitrist
I recommend a good board certified psychiatrist for this.
I wonder why you cannot take ssris? Ssris are antidepressant medications. There are other, non-ssri anti-depressant medications, such as wellbutrin (bupropion). A psychiatrist would tend to be the type of specialist with the most expertice in such an area. Good luck.

In brief: A Psychaitrist
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Mary Melton
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Or a psychologist
A psychiatrist for a med eval is a better choice if you have past probems with med.
And psychotherapy is effecive treatment for mild to moderate depression even without meds.

In brief: Or a psychologist
Dr. Mary Melton
Dr. Mary Melton
Dr. Eric Weisman