Do I have to see psychiatrist or can my family medicine doctor diagnose my attention disorder?

Dr. QH TRAN
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Family Doctor

Family doctors are more than qualified to diagnose and treat adhd.

In brief: Family Doctor

Dr. QH TRAN
Dr. QH TRAN
2 comments
Dr. Glen Elliott
If it's just ADHD, would agree. About 2/3 of those with ADHD also have other diagnoses important to identify that might affect treatment; most family doctors would refer out if they suspected such additional problems were present.
Dr. Kevin Passer
In general, I agree that some Family Doctors may see more patients with "garden variety" ADHD compared with General/Adult Psychiatrists. I will add that, in my opinion, the "real experts" for ADHD are Child Psychiatrists (like myself). I by no means am trying to start a "turf war" here. Also, ADHD seems to be over diagnosed by some Primary Care Physicians, when the problem is really another condition like Bipolar Disorder. Of note is the fact that the criteria for ADHD does NOT include a mood component.
Dr. Michael Welsh
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Depends

Some family doctors may be willing to diagnosis adhd, but others may ask that you see a specialist (either psychiatrist or psychologist) to help ensure that the symptoms you are experiencing are truly related to adhd and not some other issue.
Your family doctor is a great place to start expressing your concerns.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Michael Welsh
Dr. Michael Welsh
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine