When should I choose a family medicine over an internal medicine doctor?

Dr. Nancy Mellow
In brief: For the whole family
If you have children and want the whole family to receive care in the same office, you might choose a family physician.
In some areas, family physicians also do some obstetrics

In brief: For the whole family
Dr. Nancy Mellow
Dr. Nancy Mellow
Dr. Thomas Heston
In brief: Find a good doctor
Physicians in both of these specialties treat adults, but internal medicine doctors almost never treat children or pregnant women.
For adults, family physicians tend to focus more on prevention and outpatient medicine whereas internists usually do more inpatient (hospital) work. As an adult, i see a family physician for my medical care, but would feel comfortable seeing a good internist as well.

In brief: Find a good doctor
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine