With gestational diabetes why do I have to see a perinatologist?

Comfort of your OB. Many obs simply do not feel comfortable treating persons with gestational diabetes due to the potential for complications. It depends greatly on their expertise with this condition and their comfort level. However, some obs do treat gestational diabetes and it would be up to you and your OB to decide what is the best care for and your unborn child.
See an MFM doctor! High blood sugar during fetal development can lead to excessive growth (macrosomia), predispose to adult diabetes mellitus, increase the risk for cesarean section, shoulder dystocia and fetal death from cardiac arrhythmias and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Most women with gdm have normal outcomes, but are at increased risk for all of the above, as well as polyhydramnios, preeclampsia (hypertension).