Is a sphenopalatine ganglion nerve block effective treatment for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Jose J Monsivais
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: No Evidence
Sphenopalatine block is indicated in the treatment of acute or chronic head or facial pain.
Fibromyalgya is a generalized pain syndrome, with associated affective disorder. This does not deny the possibility of the placebo effect, present in all forms of therapy.

In brief: No Evidence
Dr. Jose J Monsivais
Dr. Jose J Monsivais
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
In brief: Huh?
Sphenopalatine ganglion block is used for trigeminal neuralgia or facial pain NOT for fibromyalgia.

In brief: Huh?
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: See below
This is an interesting question.
Over the years there have been anecdotal reports of relief of widespread pain conditions with sphenopalatine ganglion block and some doctors who did this procedure for many pain syndromes. I have used this block for facial pain and headaches. Have not used it for fibromyalgia. No good studies on this to my knowledge.

In brief: See below
This is an interesting question.
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery